Saturday, March 25, 2017

Times of Refreshing

I’m sitting on my back deck enjoying the sunshine and the view of the woodlands backing up to the rear of our property. Squirrels are scurrying about the forest, digging up acorns stored away last fall. The weather has warmed, the garden is budding with new spring growth, and the holly tree in my backyard is flush with red fruit.

Birds are flying about, getting ready for the mating season. Carolina wrens and finches chirp noisily like I’m interfering with their important work. I checked the wreath on one of our doors to see if the Carolina wrens have built a nest in the wreath. It happens every year. So far, no nest, but I know it’s coming!

Then, without any announcement, a large group of light grey birds descended on the holly tree in my backyard. There is fifty-plus birds drawn to the red fruit and a feeding frenzy begins.

I checked my bird-watching guide and concluded they were cedar waxwings likely migrating north. They apparently stopped for a time of refreshing and food. The birds almost stripped the holly of its fruit before they left and continued their journey.

Psalm 23:1-3 speaks of times of refreshing. The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.

We are all on a journey, and we all need times of refreshing. If the cedar waxwings did not stop to replenish their strength they would not reach their destination and would not finish well.

We are all refreshed in different ways. Down time, vacation, family time … just to name a few. But do not ignore the most obvious way. Spend time in and reflect upon the Word of God.

Robert Parlante
March 2017





No comments:

Post a Comment