Monday, March 7, 2016

A Final Diamond Cut?


A few days ago my wife and I went to a local jeweler to replace the broken wristband on my watch. While the work was proceeding the jeweler’s wife asked what nationality was my last name “Parlante.”

I told her in Italian, French and Spanish the word “parlante” exists, and is connected to the topic of speaking. “It’s also a Turkish word,” she said. “It means the final perfect cut of a diamond.


Diamonds go from a rough stone to a multifaceted gem. The parlante cut is the best and final one. When my wife heard this definition she figured there would be no living with me thinking I might be the final best.

But my potential bravado lasted mere seconds. I don’t feel like the best, final diamond cut. In fact, on most days I feel just the opposite. I’m made in the image of God, but I am nevertheless imperfect in need of the Lord’s handiwork, refinement and encouragement.

The apostle Paul said it best in the book of Philippians, chapter 3:13. “I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind me and straining toward what is ahead…”

Be encouraged by Paul’s words. Never think you have arrived. Strain forward. There is a multifaceted “spiritual diamond” embedded in every believer waiting to be a light to the world.

You’ve heard of the phrase, “Put your best foot forward.” Instead, put forward to others what the Lord has done in your life. Don’t be satisfied with who or where you are spiritually. And thank the Lord for all the goodness that has happened in our lives and keep pressing on!

Robert Parlante
March 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment