Friday, February 20, 2015

Five Things About Writing - Part 3

I must be a frustrated meteorologist because I write about weather conditions so frequently throughout my book Patch Town - A Letter From Miss Wingate. I lived in a coastal community, and every time it rained or was foggy, vacationers would be bummed out. But I found the thick gray fog calming, and the rain a reason to slow down for the day. I like to use descriptions about the weather when I write because all readers can relate to a misty, rainy or sun-filled day. Weather can create atmosphere (no pun intended) and be a tool to give the reader a tangible glimpse into the spirit of a person.

When reading a book don't gloss over the weather information. Frequently it adds details that will enrich your experience.

Robert Parlante
February 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment