Monday, July 23, 2018

How Many Hallmark Movies Can You Watch?


People have different television viewing preferences. Some like emotional relationship stories that draw you in. Some like vintage movies, like me. I’m a fan of WWII military/spy movies (Who cannot like the movie “The Great Escape” with Steve McQueen?).

I was just a young child during the era, and I still remember practicing blackouts because my father was involved with civil defense. The rules were straightforward: No lights, had to use dark window shades, or no lighting up a cigarette. One little flicker of light regardless of source would be enough of a clue to an enemy bomber. Nothing ever happened in Pennsylvania where I had been living at the time. Yet, it affected my TV viewing habits. I enjoy the battles of good and evil playing out in a story.

The challenge comes when it’s time for family TV viewing. My wife’s choices are consistent … Hallmark, news, DIY and Netflix. (I mean, how many Hallmark movies can one see?)

My choice is news, Turner Classic Movies and Netflix. Just saw the Jean Arthur movie “The More the Merrier” a comedy about housing shortages during war-time Washington. The actor Charles Coburn won an Oscar for his portrayal of a millionaire curmudgeon in this comedy.

Most nights, one or the other must compromise. A few days ago, my wife convinced me to watch Heidi on Netflix. Ugh! Even worse, the movie was all in German.

Sprechen Sie Deutsch? Not even close. It’s just part of the things we do to please our spouses! The other evening, I watched “Signed, Sealed and Delivered” on Hallmark. Truth be told, I liked the movie series!
Robert Parlante
July 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment