Monday, January 15, 2018

1968 All Over Again

Enjoyed seeing my grandkids, who attend college, home for the Christmas holidays and winter break. Every time they return home I notice their adulthood growing more mature with time and exposure to the campus life and different political and social viewpoints. I don’t always agree with their conclusions about the sad state of our society. However, I do believe their analysis, pro or con, of various life viewpoints help them grow into a mature adult whose efforts contribute to society. Besides that, my prayer for all of them is to be bible-believing, fully committed adults.

When they challenge my hopes and dreams for them, I remind them that I was once where they are at this moment in time. They believe some campuses are overrun with Communist-thinkers with societal and political structures beyond repair. Some people think our nation and its political underpinning is on the verge of collapse.

I remind them of 1968 when everything seemed to be going wrong in our country. I was a young adult viewing a world of assassinations, war, rioting in the streets, racial upheaval and cities on fire. I was also convinced like them there was no magic wand to correct all that was wrong in 1968, pretty much what we can say about today. But it all changed. I’m sure there were multiple reasons for the turnaround. It was not one person or one event that did this transformation to redirect the path to a calmer future.

In 1968, I reaffirmed my trust in Jesus after abandoning him during my college years. I changed and became a catalyst for more change. I am not so naive to think that single act turned our country onto a more positive course. However, I would like to think my one and feeble voice in the night calling out a prayer for our country may have contributed something.

Some things are difficult for a person to change. They require diverse and monumental effort beyond human abilities. But everything is possible through Jesus Christ! So keep praying for our country to return to its foundational principles. 

Robert Parlante
January 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment