Monday, September 25, 2017

What's in a Name?

A family member recently went to Washington DC to attend a concert by some group on tour. When I asked my wife, who was the group, she thought it was something like Princess Snowflake. The last time my family member attended a concert it included well-known rappers. Princess Snowflake is hardly a name for a rapper.

Princess Snowflake sounds like a character in a Disney animated movie.

The actual tour headliner was Alison Wonderland who is into electronic dance music (edm). She is an Australian DJ, a classical musician and a trained cellist. Her stage name has a certain ring to it, and is hard to forget.

This exposure to “edm” got me thinking about what’s in a name.

When you call upon the name Princess Snowflake, I can’t help chuckle. It’s a fun name with political overtones and an unlikely name for a serious musician
.
When you call upon the name Alison Wonderland my writer side kicks in. The “Alice in Wonderland” tie-in is clever and impressive. I hope my writing could be as unique.

But there’s more. Some name you call upon can have life changing experiences far beyond a fleeting laugh or a clever play of words.

"Everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved." (Romans 10:13)


Have a blessed day, enjoy a good laugh,  and take time to hear the music.

Robert Parlante
September 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment