Monday, August 14, 2017

Recycled Plastic Water Bottles


Recently started to attend a church where attendees dress up slightly more than I had been used to dressing for services. Once I gave up wearing suits to churches in the south I relished the idea of casual dress for church. But change was in the air.

I decided I needed a new pair of dress trousers. I purchased a pair of navy blue slacks which I thought would match the shirts in my closet. The only problem with them is that they were several inches too long. It was a minor detail given the label description – machine washable, no iron, permanent crease, wrinkle free, virtually indestructible!

Then I read the fine print – fabric was made from recycled plastic water bottles.

What? I now have all kinds of mental images of dressing up in a water bottle getup, sloshing about with waterproof pants in the pouring rain and making crinkle sounds like I’m an empty water bottle being crushed in a closed fist.

But I then thought about where the discarded bottles had come from. What had they experienced on their journey to become a pair of trousers. Were they thrown to the side of the road, flung out of car window like trash? Were they crushed flat no longer resembling its former self?

But I also saw a greater message of a born-again life. Regardless of where we might have come from, placing our trust in our Savior can transform us into new creations. Like a pair of new trousers.
Robert Parlante
August 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment